The Best Lessons That My Mentors Have Taught Me
“Leadership is the art of giving people a platform for spreading ideas that work.” – Seth Godin
Over the years, I’ve always been blessed with the most incredible mentors. I have grown from strength to strength because they saw something in me, that at the time, I did not see in myself. Now, all I want to do is pay this forward, as I hope others will, because we all need great mentors in life who are willing to take people under their wings and help them to soar.
I want to share my top 20 lessons that I have learnt from my mentors over the years, in the hope that it will help you to reach your goals.
- If you’re not scared with the goals that you have set then you’re not growing very much! Discomfort is a reflection of growth so, get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- Be very clear with what you want and then make a committed decision to follow it.
- Always focus on what you want and not what you don’t want.
- Be focused, stay focused and be determined. Always have a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Set aside 30 minutes a day for creative thinking.
- Be true to your values.
- Be true to who you are and why you do what you do.
- Never be scared of failure. Fail fast and succeed faster.
- Always aim to give your customers or employer 30% more in value than they expect. Under promise and over deliver, and then watch how many people will hear about it.
- Truth, honesty, integrity and hard work is the only winning formula.
- Always give back first without expecting to receive.
- Let go of the things that no longer serve you.
- Love what you do and be passionate.
- Don’t forget to breathe and enjoy the whole journey.
- Someone’s going to win. Why not you?
- Don’t chase perfection but rather pursue progress.
- Have fun, know when to relax and don’t take yourself too seriously. Life’s too short!
- Expect to meet amazing people in your life.
- If you say you are going to do something, do it! Because if you don’t, the only person you will be letting down is yourself.
- Exercise the mind, body and soul daily. Some days you will do more than other days but never skip a day.
I would love to hear about some of the greatest lessons that you have learnt and how you intend to pay it forward!